HISTORY ON OUR BEAUTIFUL INN The Garrison House Inn was originally built as “The Temperance Hotel” in 1854. The land on which it was constructed was part of the Lieutenant-Governor's gardens when Annapolis Royal was the capital of Nova Scotia from 1621 to 1749. In the 1880's, it was expanded by adding a summer wing and large walk-in dormer windows on the third floor and was then renamed 'The American House'. It continued to operate as a hotel until 1920 but as the age of sail came to an end, the building was purchased by a doctor who housed his prodigious family and his practice in the historic rooms until 1971. It was then bought by a hotelier and renamed The Garrison House in recognition of its illustrious neighbor, Fort Anne National Historic Site, the center of military conflict (in North America) between France and England in the 17th and 18th centuries.